Wednesday, January 16, 2008

hi

I just had a sad realization.
Yesterday was the first time since I have been a mother
that I didn't talk to the child that made me a mom.
Oh, I suppose there may have been one or two other times
maybe on one of the rare occasions that
Tyler and I went away for an anniversary.
But, even then, we probably talked on the phone,
cause that's just the kind of kid he is.
He always wanted us to know what was going on with him
and he wanted to know what was going on with us.
When the kids went to school, they each had a prepaid calling card,
so they could always get a hold of me.
You know, in the old days, before cell phones.
TJ would call while he was on a field trip, just to say, "hi".
I don't figure his friends were calling their moms to say hi,
but he always did.
This growing up stuff is hard.
You'd think at 39, I'd have the hang of it.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go call my son, just to say, "hi".
I love you, bud!

2 comments:

  1. I knew that you were young Mrs. L but I didn't realize how young! You are such a babe! That sounds, rather reads, kinda funny coming from a jr in high school but you are! Did you have a good "hi" conversation?

    ~Lady

    p.s. I very much am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ~ you're too funny

    was just a short chat - he was busy putting some doors on a cabinet; I sure didn't want anything to go wrong on account o' me.....

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)