Monday, March 3, 2008

new life on the farm

Yesterday
I found myself singing Stand in the Rain.
kinda loud
for me, anyways - I rarely belt 'em out.
~
Valentine's Day, last year
we were driving to church for our teen outreach;
I sang the song then, too
only that time
I sang with tears in my eyes
and a huge lump in my throat;
Billy, Tony's little Boer buck
had just died.
I was really wondering if we'd made a mistake
moving here;
had we misunderstood God's will for us?
we'd been so sure at the time,
but
everything was so hard!
Much harder than we'd anticipated.
And
pretty much
nothing
was successful.
Our garden had been a flop
neighbor's dogs kept killing our chickens
the house was continuing to fall apart
(how was this even possible??!)
and then,
that song came on the radio
and I knew
we had not misunderstood.
everything was crashing down
but we needed to stand firm.
~
I was fixing a quick dinner
when Tony ran in the house.
He was shaking.
"there's a baby goat out there!"
he barely got the words out
before I took off running,
shouting
"Praise the Lord"
on my way out the door.
We had just about given up hope.
Queenie died not long ago;
we were expecting kids just any time -
then, she got real weak.
Tony researched possible causes,
was tending to her all throughout the day
and she seemed to be doing much better
he ran out to check on her first thing next morning
expecting babies
and found her lifeless body instead.
we weren't positive if Speckles was even pregnant.
She was :-)
There is new life on our farm!
Hopefully, the first of many new lives
(yes, we had those 2 baby chicks but the dogs killed them, too...)
we are standing firm
there's been lots more rain than we would have liked
but
we haven't drowned
~
Thank you, Lord
for new life!

1 comment:

  1. aww.... sooooo cute! I'm so excited for ya'll.
    And I love SuperChic[k] and that song!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)