Friday, June 13, 2008

one hundred things

I’ve read its customary to write
‘100 things about myself’
in honor of one’s one hundredth post.
Um
first of all
that would be really boring
secondly
this blog is for my family
so I figured I’d post about us
And
I doubt I’ll come close to a hundred things
I just don’t have that much time!
So
Off the top of my head:
We enjoy being together
We are a tad competitive
We like good food
meaning food that tastes good
and
is good for you
We also like food that’s not so good for you
like brownies.
We love Jesus
and strive to honor God with our whole lives.
We are into doing things ourselves
consequently
we’re pretty hard workers.
Surprisingly
we all fit just fine in this dinky house
(our stuff, on the other hand….)
We like having lots of pictures
but
we often forget to bring the camera when we go somewhere.
We are hard on furniture
but
I suspect that’s partially cause we don’t have much
If we had more furniture - we’d use each piece less
and it would last longer.
We love blueberries
well, all of us except for T.
We like to all wear red when we go to an amusement park
that way we can find each other easily.
We home school
but
I don’t know that that defines us -
we do much weirder things than that
like
Cloth diaper
Grind our own flour
(and enjoy our homemade burger buns so much,
we can hardly stand to eat store-bought)
Use herbal remedies - most of them home-made
Believe that ‘debt-free is the way to be’
Co-sleep
Garden organically
Drink fresh raw milk
and drive about 2 hours (one way) to purchase it.
We (all those over 5, at least) agree that
Lupron is of the Devil.
We love ice
but
rarely ever have it.
We save all coins
some for our anniversary fund
and
some
for a go-cart.
Needless to say
we’re adding a bit of paper money to these funds as we can, too.
We love going to friends’ houses
and
having friends over
but we don’t do either nearly as often as we’d like.
We like candles, fireworks, books, and babies
but not necessarily in that order.
We enjoy playing games together
some of our favorites are;
Nertz, Tribond, Taboo, Pit, Six Dice & Rolling,
and the Dictionary Game
Some of us like Othello
others like it, but are lousy at it!
Did I mention
we like food?
We like to walk on the train tracks.
We’ve been involved in Outreach Ministry for about 7 years
and dearly love our Team!
Movie-quoting is an acceptable form of communication in this family.
We like ‘living in the country’
but
we haven’t been very successful
as far as ‘self-sufficiency’ goes.
(I hate that term, as if God weren’t part of the equation)
We believe that marriage is one man and one woman
for life
and
that children are a blessing from the Lord.
~
Speaking of
I’ve got a little blessing crawling around here
thinking she needs a snack.
You know how we love our food….

6 comments:

  1. Fun! What a sweet family. Raw milk ha? What age do you start giving that to your kids? And do you drink it when you are pregnant? I've heard so many good things about it from the organic side (which I definitely lean towards) but the more medical community says STAY AWAY! What's your take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, don't get her started on that one :^P
    Don't get *me* started!

    I'll write what I know, since there is so much that can be said on the subject.
    Many people are scared of raw milk, but what they don't know is that it only has those dangerous organisms (that require pasteurization) when it comes from cows who are kept in unhealthy environments (like their own waste...) and I think diet influences it, too - but mom can tell you more about that cuz she knows more than I do...
    Anyway, most people are afraid of raw milk b/c of "all that bacteria!" but, places which sell raw milk are tested regularly, and their microorganisms counts checked (don't know what exactly that is called...) and they check out just fine, very safe. (the dairies have to pay for those tests themselves, but it's that or don't sell the milk)

    The regulations on milk to be sold raw are much stricter than those on regular storebought milk, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to give hard facts on that. There's a really good book about raw milk and that whole issue - mom??

    As far as the health benefits of raw milk - wow!! There are so many vitamins and other nutrients that get destroyed in the processing of milk, much like when whole wheat is processed and turned into 'enriched white flour', but I'm not sure if it's quite as drastic as that transition.

    Also, our Josiah gets a rash when he drinks storebought milk, but not when he drinks it raw. And I'm lactose intolerant, but I can drink a little milk. I can drink more raw milk than I can storebought, esp when the milk is fresher. I think that's b/c there is more of the enzyme lactase...

    What else.... I don't think it lasts as long as storebought (week and a half in the summer), but we've frozen it with acceptable results.

    I've been drinking Aldi's milk... Man, miss that "cow's milk"!

    Anyways, I know you didn't ask me, but I know what I know about health food from momma, so I thought I might be able to save her some time...
    Love you, momma! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily ~ yes, I drink it when pregnant & give it to kiddos at 1 year old without hesitation!

    raw milk (from a quality cow, pasture fed...) is one of the healthiest foods for you! I do have a great book on the subject, which I'd be happy to loan you & when we start going to the dairy again (once we get Tyler's mom's things taken care of...) you may certainly get in on it, if ya want to.

    like most things that have been pushed on us as being 'better', but are not - it's all about the money. sad!

    good job, Lana.

    Mr Riley has tested raw milk many times for microbes & ALWAYS finds it to be better then the 'safe' pastuerized milk.

    I should add that people with seriously compromised immune systems, due to taking pharmacueticals (sp?) might want to excercise caution with raw milk. that said - they definitely shouldn't be drinking any milk from the store....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to burger bun recipie! Whenever we try to make them, they're really.... junky:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make good ones with just plain bread dough.
    We may have another recipe somewhere, but it is seldom used.
    Speaking of, I must go make bread, b/c MIL is letting me bring rolls for lunch on father's day!Mom, I gotta call you, I don't know how many loaves of bread to make for the right amount of rolls!
    And I only have one cookie sheet, what shall I do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks y'all! I love raw milk cheese from the healthfood store and have talked with mary (the owner) and she has filled me in on the "better for you" reasons...I heartily agree! Rex Russel (Author of "What the Bible Says About Healthy Living" which is a great book...) really pushes raw milk. Anna Catherine isn't warming up to the vitamen D whole organic milk I bought her. We've tried mixing it half and half with formula, and she drinks it ok. I'd like to borrow that book, Tracy. I'm all for things in their healthiest, least messed with by man, natural state!! Except diapers. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)