Monday, July 28, 2008

take, eat

We celebrate communion every week
at our church.
Yesterday
Tim Bailey was sharing a sort of combined
‘communion mediation’
and
a ‘here’s what we do at Central’ for guests.
~
I was feeling really sad for Lana
because taking communion has always been very special to her,
and her new church doesn’t 'do' communion very often.
~
He went on to say how precious the weekly practice has become
as he’s grown in his love for the Lord and his awe of Christ.
He finished by saying
“….so when the bread comes, take a piece……
When the drink comes, take a cup and drink and
proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.”
~
The trays were passed as usual
from baptized believer to baptized believer.
Josiah didn’t get any bread
(as is the usual custom)
but when the juice was coming, he got out of his seat
and stood kinda between Tony and I,
facing us.
Neither of us thought a thing
and I would remind him to get back in his seat
as soon as the tray was safely out of the way.
When the tray got to Tony
Josiah grabbed out a cup.
It was empty
so he put it back and grabbed another, empty too.
Tony and I kinda looked at each other.
What had possessed this child?
I certainly didn’t want to cause a scene during the Lord’s Supper,
So I let him grab another cup.
And he drank.
And I realized
he was simply doing what he’d been told.
And he,
my sweet, precious, scrappy,
sitting-still-and-listening-in-church three-year old boy
was proclaiming the Lord’s death
until He returns.
~
It doesn’t get much better

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to write these stories, Tracy! We love reading about your wonderful family. Sure wish we could be there to see them all. Please give them a *hug & kiss* from Aunt Kaylana and Uncle Nate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi strangers!!!
    I imagine ya'll had a great time with gramma & grampa!
    love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this has nothing to do with this post, but i thought if i added it to an older one you might not catch it. This is the cutest dress and since you are a frugal seamstress too, i thought you might be interested. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.0

    jodie

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)