Friday, July 25, 2008

unexpected blessings

We have baby chicks!!!
We found them on Monday.
Our little hand-me-down black hen
(which we haven't seen in ages
so we figured killer-dog got her)
is a momma!
And she's a good one;
she has attacked
both
Donor & Lola
when they got too close for her liking.
Sadly,
she's already lost one chick
despite her vigilance.
I think the cat got it.
~
AND
to our delight
Brandon just found

MILK
in our freezer!
A whole gallon of raw milk!
We are beside ourselves with excitement.
We haven't been able to go to the dairy
since Granny died,
as most weekends have been taken up with estate business
and if they haven't
well
Tyler's pretty happy to just be home!
We'd rationed what little milk we had left
and stretched it out as long as we could
but still
we haven't had any real milk in over a month.
I can hardly wait for it to thaw.
oh, it's gonna be sooo good.....

4 comments:

  1. mmmmmm, but whenever you do go, remember us little ppl who do good to drink a gallon of milk in a half a month.
    And it's kinda expensive.
    Perfectly reasonable, in my opinion, but still... Compared to Aldi. But, we've been having leftover grocery money, so I bet Luke would happily let me splurge on one gallon... and it is so good, I'm sure we'd drink it all up in time, we just usually don't drink much milk, except w/ pound cake :^P
    Isn't that healthy!

    congrats on the chicks, too! I was so excited when Tony told me! didn't have time to be enthusiastic, but I was very excited and Luke was happy for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could give you the special daughter rate :-) which, incidently, is CHEAPER than Braum's before tax! and probably comparable to Aldi's price when you add in tax.

    futhermore.... I was thinking you could acquire some 1/2 gallon containers & freeze some in a more appropriate 'little ppl' size :-)
    I suppose you could even use a freezer bag.....then put it in a glass bottle once thawed.
    Can you tell I have hopes of getting milk some day in the not too distant future? Guess where I want to go for our anniversary? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, sounds like a nice anniversary plan :-D

    Freezer bags is a good idea, but I have no glass jars. Except salsa ones, and the smell....
    can you spare one? :^P
    I've thought about buying half gallons of milk, but it is more expensive and I always figure we can use a whole gallon, so I never have.
    Aldi's is... 2.69 before tax which is 6.250% (guess that's grocery tax, b/c it's 9.250% on my storage bags and soap..)..
    that's 2.86.
    well, that's for 2%. Whole is a tad more. We both prefer whole, but we get whatever has the further date.

    I really would like real cow's milk... I miss it.

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)