Monday, August 25, 2008

wwjd?


I hate to send a kid to bed hungry.
Now
I know
my children have never been truly hungry,
starving hungry,
but still
I don’t like for them to go to bed with even the littlest pang.
I
don’t like to go to bed hungry.
When I do
inevitably
I wake up in the middle of the night
still
hungry
~
On the other hand
it’s rather frustrating to hear
“I’m hungry”
after I’ve just said,
“It’s bedtime.”
~
Just like I can’t judge their hearts and their motives,
I can’t judge their bellies.
Sometimes
I’m hungry - even after I’ve
‘just eaten’
~
Do I just get snookered?
Would Jesus send them to bed hungry?
Should I just be a drill sergeant?
It is
after all
bedtime.
I mean
would it really hurt them to go to bed hungry once in awhile?
Am I encouraging disobedience
or am I exemplifying patience & kindness?
Will they forever disrespect me because I’m stupid
and play their game night after night?
~
I truly don't know

Mercy triumphs over judgement!
(James 2:13)
~
Sleep well, my boys
Momma loves you so much!

3 comments:

  1. Can't say for sure that I know the answer to that, but I sure have fond, unblemished memories of chocolate chip cookies in bed late at night.
    And I remember being told that if I'm hungry I should pour me a glass of milk and get to bed, Missy.
    And I gotta say that chocolate chip cookies taste a lot better than plain 1% milk.

    I love you, momma! see, you're still a fun momma :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I don't think anyone who brings a person a snack or some other meal in bed can possibly be thought of as stupid - in fact, that's a pretty good gaurd against it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that it's a big deal to go to bed slightly hungry, but pre-bed (or even mid-bed) snacks sure are fun!

    And, to paraphrase Scripture, if a man takes your cookie, give him your brownie as well.

    Or is that a stretch?

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)