Wednesday, September 3, 2008

kids in the kitchen

Once upon a time
I used to sneak into the kitchen to cook dinner.
Doesn’t work anymore.
Hasn’t in years, actually.
Which is fine
‘cause I’ve learned a thing or two.
~
They see me grabbing the bucket of grain
and
pretty soon
there’s a chair by the mixer
with an eager helper standing on it.
(the chair, not the mixer)
~
so
it was really no surprise
when I sat down with some veggies
(yes, Honey, I sat down to do food prep ~ can you believe it?!)
that I soon had offers of help.
My first thought was
Ummm
I’m cutting vegetables, there’s nothing you can do.
Thanks anyways.
But then I figured
Really
What’s the worst that could happen?
The very worst that could happen
if I let them help cut
was
a finger tip could get cut off
and
surely they couldn’t cut hard enough to cut off the whole tip…..
So I went ahead and let them help.
Josiah cut up an entire 8 oz pkg. of mushrooms!

Brandon,
who is becoming quite proficient with a knife,
cut up the broccoli and cucumber

Jeremiah diced most of a bell pepper

...and the pizza was delicious!
Great cutting, guys!
thanks for all your help.

~

I should probably confess....
I was a bit of a 'mother hen'
Jeremiah suggested I video him cutting the pepper,
but I decided against it
since the entire audio portion would be
me
saying,
"Watch your fingers.
Keep your fingers away from the knife.."

5 comments:

  1. Did you put cucumber on your pizza? I'm looking for ways to use my cukes beside pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes! cukes are wonderful on pizza! Even the little guys, who don't prefer most veggies on pizza (although they do enjoy squash on pizza)like cucumbers!
    Cukes on pizza is pretty new for us ~ our neighbor introduced us to the idea just a few months ago. I figured I'd try it & we found we really enjoy it!

    do ya'll like cucumbers & sour cream? that's our favorite way to eat 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cukes on pizza?? Hmmmm, sounds.... new.

    BTW, mom, if you write a cukes and sour cream recipe, I want it, b/c Linda K was talking to Mrs. Susie about abundance of cukes, and so susie told her about cukes and sour cream and asked ME how to make it, and all I could tell her was the ingredient list, cuz I have NO idea about quantities...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mamma Mia Pizzaria!!! I can almost (realize I said almost, not quite there yet) smell that pizzaria wafting through your house!!! I would have loved to have been outside your window to see this. :) I remember when we brought home all those peaches and Dave let Connor cut them in 1/2 with a VERY sharp knife. I'm so glad I was away most of the morning when this was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I *love* the faces all three of those happy knife-users are making! And, yum-- the pizza looks great!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)