Wednesday, September 3, 2008

like B1G1

Most of what I do to save money
is so second-nature to me
that I forget it might be 'news' to someone else.
Dish soap
for example.
I'm not even sure that my kids
(or Tyler, for that matter)
know I do this.
Every time I open a new bottle of dishsoap
I pour half of it into the bottle of soap
I just emptied,
after filling it 1/2 full of filtered water, that is.
Then
I gently fill the now-half-empty
new bottle of soap with water.
And I've got 2 brand spankin' new bottles of dishsoap
for the price of one!
~
I also tear my dryer sheets in half before using them;
I throw half in the dryer
and stick the other half back in the box for the next load.
I figured all thrifty folks did this
but
once I mentioned it in passing to my mother-in-law
(who was pretty tight herself)
and she said,
"Well, Tracy, I've never heard of such a thing!
You are cheap!"
~
If I ever find a recipe for dryer sheets that
control static
(as opposed to just softening fabric)
I'll try it.
and I imagine
I'll stretch that
just as far as I can too.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! You're sharing! I don't do this. I admit, I skimp on the dish soap, but I don't hand wash my dishes as much as I should. I can barely keep up with what I do. Thanks so much for keeping the rest of us out here up on saving some.

    ps. There are at least 3-4 more people in church now that make their own laundry soap! Keep sharing! You have a wealth of knowledge.

    ps.ps. In Mary Hunt today, in the newspaper that Dave brought home from work, a person wrote in about making their own detergent, but all they used was Fels. I kept telling them them were missing some really key ingredients, but nobody heard me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking yesterday that we seem to go through dish soap so fast. Why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaha, *I* knew you did that to soap!!
    I also knew that when the already diluted bottle got mostly empty, you would add MORE water :)

    which usually worked okay.
    But, if you ever added it AGAIN, then....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this!

    Congrats on the beautiful baby. Can't wait to see him/her in pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this!

    Congrats on the beautiful baby. Can't wait to see him/her in pics!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)