Wednesday, June 24, 2009

unbelievably light whole wheat cake

Sunday
using this recipe as a starting point
I made a cake
so fluffy
that had I not run the grain through the grinder myself
I would not have believed it was a whole wheat cake.
I used Tammy's method
but made her fairly healthy cake
downright good for ya
~
4 eggs, separated
1/4 c. xylitol*
1 c. + 2 Tbs whole wheat flour
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
.
Using an electric mixer on high speed
beat the eggs whites till frothy.
Continue mixing on high
and add 1/2 the xylitol.
Add the rest of the xylitol
still beating those egg whites.
Continue mixing till egg whites stand in stiff peaks
(or you think, "Surely I have mixed this long enough.")
.
In another bowl,
use the mixer to quickly combine the remaining ingredients.
.
Using a rubber spatula
gently fold the flour mixture
into the beaten egg whites until completely blended
.
Pour into a greased and sugared (or xylitoled) 8x8 pan
and bake at 325 for about 40 minutes.
.
cool
(cake will sink slightly)
top with berries and lightly sweetened whipped cream
~
yum!
* may use sugar instead of Xylitol

3 comments:

  1. sounds good, I'll have to try it.
    Luke and I made a lemon sponge cake once, with a recipe similar to this (yeah, that time that I dropped the brand new carton of eggs on the floor and broke half of them so we had to use them right away...) and he whipped those six egg whites by hand. It took a while.
    but he did it. It was a good cake, esp with strawberries and coolwhip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world is Xylitol? I can't even spell it! And how is it used as a verb? How do you 'Xylitoled' something??

    PS. What should we bring you from here?? Please tell me something! I can't come empty handed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xylitoled - like 'sugared' as in 'floured'....
    a cake lady taught me, when I was about 16, that the secret to a fabulous cake was instead of flouring the pan after greasing (before adding cake batter) - you sugar it.

    Xylitol is a plant based sweetener - it acts more like sugar in a recipe (you use equal parts) than other alternative sweeteners, it doesn't raise blood sugar and it's reportedly good - get this, GOOD - for your teeth.

    haha - you'll hardly be emptyhanded; bringing me that sweet nephew!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)