Friday, August 27, 2010

the perfect coleslaw recipe

I can hardly believe
I used to buy Kraft coleslaw dressing
to make my slaw.
I hadn't found a recipe that was to my liking,
and that was the best I'd come up with.
It's been years since I've even made coleslaw.
Last Fall
there was recipe in the paper for KFC's slaw
so I saved it.
Of course
I've tweaked it a bit
based on what I had in the fridge
and what I like.
And now
I give you
the recipe
for
perfect coleslaw

1 medium sized head of cabbage, finely shredded
then chopped just a bit so the shreds aren't too long
1 carrot, finely shredded
about 2 Tbs finely minced onion (fresh, not dried)
1/4 c. milk
1/3 c. sour cream
1/2 c. mayo
2 1/2 Tbs honey (or 1/4 - 1/3 c. sugar, if you must use it)
1 1/2 Tbs white vinegar
2 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
a bit of salt & pepper

Just throw it all in a big bowl & mix well.
Transfer to serving bowl
cover
and refrigerate.
Best when the flavors can mingle a few hours

cooks note: I would never dirty three measuring cups;
I use a 1/2 c. measure filled halfway for the milk
3/4 of the way full for the s.cream and full for the mayo

2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy :)
    I think you can use all lemon juice instead of any vinegar (i do) and i've found that when u use lemon juice instead of vinegar in recipes, you need a lot less sugar or honey to offset it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I made cole slaw this week too and it was the first time in forever. I eyed the bottled dressing in the store but for $2 I knew I could do it just as well. It was yummy and my recipe is similar to yours!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)