Tuesday, October 19, 2010

reading lessons

I spend between 45 and 60 minutes a day 
doing reading lessons.
Jeremiah really struggled last year
so we didn't push it.
Consequently he's still learning to read.
I'd decided long ago that I was okay with my kids being late readers.
That's one of the beauties of home schooling;
if a child isn't ready - we can wait
and learning can be much less stressful.

Honestly
I don't like the program.
I use it, because, for some reason
it works.
I tried to use my own 'program' based on 
and it just wasn't clicking.
When I pulled out -groaning all the while - 100 Lessons
things starting clicking.
Slowly
but clicking all the same.

Anyways.
None of that is my point.
What I sat down to say is - I've added a small component
to an already effective program 
and it has really helped.
Flashcards.
When we begin a lesson
we run through the flashcards
(letters written just like the stupid book has them)
of all the sounds Jeremiah has been introduced to.
This seems to help us move through the lessons more quickly.
The real bonus I've noticed is with the younger ones.
They get the flashcard as soon as it's been added for Jeremiah
but it's 2 - 4 weeks before Josiah and Lily will be
introduced to the sound in our reading book.
(Jeremiah is about 12 lessons ahead of Josiah
who is about 10-12 lessons ahead of Lily)
so that
by the time they reach a new sound in their book
they are already quite familiar with it.
Lexi even gets in on the action
and calls out the sounds she can remember
'eeee' being her favorite.
Speaking of The Beastie,
 she no longer hates homeschooling - which is a huge blessing!
And
speaking of reading lessons
I've got a little girl waiting on the couch for hers
right now.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! -- all three of them! Yeah!

    Samuel has started on his 100 lessons - and then we loaned the book out thinking we were going to get it back in a couple of weeks ... Nathan has put 2 copies on our Amazon shopping cart. Can't wait to get Samuel rolling again!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)