Wednesday, November 3, 2010

happy birthday, Sam!


I was helping Tyler prepare his lesson for Riverwalk
and there
on the sidebar 
(I never look at sidebars!)
was Sam.
Today 
is his birthday;
he's 17.
Only one more year and he's out of chances.
It about broke my heart to think of a young man
near my Tony's age
being to old to sponsor.
Growing up
not knowing that somebody cared enough to choose him.
But you know what?
I care.
We choose him.
I told Tyler we could give up our 'bill-pay dinner'.
He reminded me
that we'll have opportunities to give to orphanages in Africa.
I told him we'd just find something else to give up.
You think Down's babies are close to my heart?
Starving African babies very nearly do me in.
~
Sam, happy birthday.
I hope this is your best year yet!
You are valuable.
You are beautiful.
You are chosen.
You are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)