Monday, June 27, 2011

hmmm


I went clothes shopping this weekend.
I may have mentioned
- I can't remember -
I'm not a big clothes shopper.
Well. 
I do shop for big clothes,
so I guess, technically, I am a 'big clothes' shopper.
But I'm not a big clothes shopper.
No wait, that's still not right.
I am big. And I am a clothes shopper....
Let's try this:
I don't much care for shopping. especially for clothes.
But
I needed a dress.
We've got two more weddings to go to this summer
and I'm not about to go dressed as 
the frumpiest woman in attendance
again.
So I had no choice - but to shop.

I walked into the dressing room with 9 dresses slung over my arm.
That may have been over the limit - not sure.
As I walked down to the last little room
(I always go to the last room)
I passed a woman stepping out of her torture chamber
and I heard her say to her daughter,
"This," she drug the word out nice and long,
"looks amazing on me!"

I don't think I have ever said that.
Not even when I was skinny.
(Believe it or not - I was skinny, once upon a time.)
Which got me to thinking.
We are so careful to train our daughters
to not say, "Yes, I know." 
when someone tells them they are so pretty,
to compliment back if they've been complimented,
to focus on inner beauty, not outer beauty
blah, blah, blah

Maybe,
just maybe,
it's not so bad to think you look amazing
once in awhile.



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you! why is it so hard just to feel like we look good, just as we are? So, did you find a fabulous dress you felt amazing in? did you get those brown yellow box yet? I am headed back to belks to get mom some, in a day or so, just holler if you want some too. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU do look good!
    eh. I found a dress I like alright and looks better on me than what I've got, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
    didn't get the yellowbox ~ we went to Belks, but I was expecting the foam part to be brown, not black - so I didn't get them. love you, too!!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)