Tuesday, June 21, 2011

scrumptious summer salad


I could eat this every day!
It's so easy - just throw everything in a bowl,
mix it up
(although it does look so pretty in layers)
set it in the fridge so the flavors can mingle
and eat!
Summer eating at it's finest.
~
1 can garbonzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed & drained
(I rarely buy canned beans,
I just cook my own & freeze them, without liquid,
in can-sized portions in sandwich bags.
They thaw super quick;
just empty bag into strainer and run under hot water)

Gosh. 
After all that, I feel like I should start over.

1 can garbonzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed & drained
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced kinda small
couple of tomatoes, diced.
1/2 cuke, guess how? diced
few handfuls of baby spinach, chopped - ha, gotcha!
 1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 c  cold H20
few splashes of Italian dressing*
splash of olive oil
squirt of honey
a bit of salt, pepper, and paprika
If you really want to make it special,
add a few handfuls of fresh mozzarella pearls
~
delish!!!

just a little FYI
 Aldi has peppers, onions and decent-tasting tomatoes on sale through today

*
for years, we have used Good Seasons italian dressing packets
(someday, I will try making my own...)
mixed our way in their cruets:
white vinegar to water line
splash of apple cider or balsamic vinegar
water to oil line
add dressing packet
1-2 Tbls of a light cold-pressed oil 
(grapeseed,, sunflowerseed, etc)
YUM!

(if you know of a copycat recipe for GS packets
that really tastes like the real thing ~share, please??)


3 comments:

  1. Our twist would include -
    juice from one squeezed lemon,
    2 cloves of garlic smashed to smithereens,
    a big splash of EV olive oil,
    maybe some olives and/or capers.
    Oooo.... Yummy!

    We like to do one with cooked cold rice too instead of the chickpeas. (Southern France style.) Just cook the rice as if it were pasta - lots of water and then rinse it in a strainer. Add all the ingredients you mentioned with the lemon and garlic and olive oil... oooo Yummy! Sometimes I leave the juice and seeds in the tomatoes and it turns the rice pink. (Nathan doesn't like it that way.)
    What is the ingredient list on your dressing? I bet you could experiment with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep ~ that'd be yummy, too :-) cold rice is crunchy though, and I'm not so crazy about that.... but I did mix my salad in with my somewhat warm rice last night.

    experimenting just takes soo long.....

    love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me laugh! not the food part, its how you write it. this sounds good. maybe you should make this for me sometime! Kaylanas sound good too, and I like rice. wheres my notepad?

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)