Friday, October 21, 2011

7 quick takes


1.
Well.
The 5K is this Saturday.
We're down to only 3 runners.
Since I am not going to be participating,
we decided to not have any of the little ones, either.

2.
I have been using my bike.
Which has a really uncomfortable seat!
Do you call it 'riding' when it's a stationary bike?

3.
I've banned all children shorter than me
from said bike.
Although, if the ones taller than me
don't lower the seat when they're finished,
I may just ban them, too.
Tyler,
I don't have to worry about.
Because of the whole uncomfortable seat thing.

4.
I angry-ate yesterday.
I am not usually an emotional eater,
but a certain someone (who is not family) living in this house
had me awfully riled up.
And I angry-ate.
I'm not sure that flaming hot cheetos is the best food for that.

5.
It got cold!
It's so hard for me to get up when it's cold.
I keep telling Tyler I want to move
to where it's 70 ish degrees year round.
with maybe a few 85 - 90 degree days sprinkled in for swimming....

6.
oh!
I finally found a 'nature table' for the LEM.
I've been keeping my eye out for one since January
and actively looking regularly
since April.
I almost feel a little lost.


I have yet to decide what color to paint it.
If it weren't laminate
(on top of solid wood - no less)
I might actually leave it un-painted,
stain just seems more appropriate for a nature table.
But it is laminate - and ugly laminate at that, so it needs paint.

7.

I need a little help.
It's almost embarrassing.
I tossed around the idea of getting  a french press
for a couple of years;
supposedly, they make the best coffee.
And I really sorta wanted to be drinking the best coffee...
Plus, I sorta think that, maybe,
if the coffee was amazing, I might could drink it black??


As you can see, I am now the owner of a gorgeous french press
(thanks, T and Ton'!!) 
but the problem is - so far,
all I've done with it 
is waste coffee beans.
As in
dump the 'coffee' down the drain
'cause there is no sense drinking it.
Best coffee, my eye!
I really want to love my press
and - more importantly - the coffee it makes.
Currently, though, my press is mocking me.
Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, NO! That is too sad about your french press. (The red is gorgeous!)

    OK. I'm a coffee geek; let's see...how have you been brewing (and grinding) it? You want really hot water (like 195-205 degrees), a uniform coarse-ish grind, and a brewing time of about 4 minutes. And never drink the last sip!

    If you've been making decent coffee at home (like, with the same water) you ought to be able to make a really good cup with that pretty pot. Here's to troubleshooting success!

    (If all else fails, those pots are excellent for brewing loose-leaf tea. Although I think that's definitely inferior to a good cup of coffee!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my french press, but it has taken some trial and error to make coffee that I like. I use coarsely ground coffee beans, regular grind does not work. (either I grind at store or buy beans and grind in my magic bullet) It took me a while to realize I needed more coffee--about 3 tablespoons for 12 ounces of water. Water should be just under boiling. If it boils, let it sit a minute. Too hot makes it too bitter. Pour the water in, stir with something plastic or wooden, and let sit for 3-4 minutes before pressing it. I had read to do 4 minutes, but it got bitter--3 is better for me.
    It is hard to keep coffee warm, so I bought a $10 mug warmer from wal-mart for the very rare occasions when I sit and drink coffee.
    It really just takes some practice and keeping track of water:coffee ratios and time until you find what you like. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its awfully pretty, but that seems like a whole lot of work for some coffee!! and if you move somewhere where the weather is nice year round, better plan on takin me with you!!xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. well - thanks ya'll for your help! I guess I just need to keep trying.... (who knew you'd have to TRY to make coffee ;-)

    Ter - it really isn't that much extra work - if I could get it figured out. plus its so much more aesthetically pleasing....

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)