Friday, October 7, 2011

floored


So.
Ya'll know how I feel about decent looking floors.
Up until about just a few hours ago,
did not have
a
decent looking floor
in my kitchen.
This is what I had in my kitchen.

Brace yourself.

you can't tell, but that there hole is about 1/2 inch or more deep in spots.
I'm sure eventually, I'd have broke an ankle in it.
 That spot remained covered with a throw rug
that had to be moved every time we rolled the dishwasher over
and of course, we had to be careful not to get the dw
stuck in the crevice.
In other spots, we've got the stick on tiles
(which I am a fan of - on a flat surface...)
slip-sliding away


 And in places where the floor stayed put,
because of the waviness of the boards
(in addition to the more extreme waviness of the entire floor...)
we have this loveliness


Not good for my psyche. 
I have really struggled with this.
I should be content with crappy floors.
I know this.
And yet,
They make me crazy.
Because my mind can't seem to get through to my eyeballs.

This is what the floor looked like
before we put the tiles on 5+ years ago.
I wanted to be fine with a painted floor ~ really I did.


But, I wasn't.

 In all fairness, most of the floor didn't look that bad;
most of it looked more like this.


Except for, you know, the holes...
So anyways.
before we could fix the unsightliness of the floor,
we had to fix that blasted hole
with something a little more solid that the Great Stuff
we used last time we fixed the hole.
When Tyler and Brandon were looking for a solution
at the hardware store,
they found plaster of paris ~ which I happen to have...
so I mixed up about 2 1/2 cups
and poured it in.

this looks like a geography project

We'll see how it holds up....
After the plaster dried,
Tyler drug the DW and tall cabinet into the dining room
and we got busy

After we had about half of the floor finished,
we had to move all the appliances onto it.
(Brandon & I were so worried we were going to scratch it!)
We found all sorts of long lost goodies back behind
and under
the fridge and stove
(washer and dryer were moved just last year, remember?)
and,
I kid you not,
a half of a brown paper grocery bag
full of nasty trash.
I spared you the picture of that.

 Five hours after we started,
we were looking at this pretty sight.


Ahhh. Much better!!
thanks, Love!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, my!!! Such a beautiful improvement! Great job everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the floor looked WONDERFUL, i really like the color of the wood :)

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)