Tuesday, October 11, 2011

selfish


During my un-well time,
I could feel myself becoming more and more selfish.
Or maybe that selfishness was in me all along
and I just became more aware of it.
Either way, I hated it!
But I couldn't seem to do anything about it.
I was forcing myself to get out of bed in the mornings,
to keep people fed and clothed
somewhat educated and reasonably clean;
I had nothing else to give.
I'd get an e-mail asking me to provide a meal for someone
but all I could do was guiltily click 'delete'.
I'd know Lana could use a break,
(what mom of little ones couldn't?!)
but keeping my grand-babies to help out my daughter
was out of the question.
I needed someone to give me a break.
I was needy. Too needy.
And I hate being needy.
Conversations with other people
(although somewhat rare - wonder why??)
were always about me.
My children drove me bonkers
and I've always been a momma who enjoys her kids.
Let's not even talk about my poor husband.
I couldn't see beyond my own pain and distress
and it disgusted me.
I enjoy helping and being a blessing to others,
but it took everything I had just to survive
And I really didn't even want to do that.
No two ways about it - I was selfish.
me. me. me.
~
Knowing how I love a good fire,
after everyone had gone home Sunday
and the house was straightened
and the kids readied for bed,
Tyler went out and re-arranged the logs
so I could sit out by the fire pit a bit before going to bed.
I was so tired and my feet hurt so stinkin bad
(my heel is still not fully healed, although it is much  better)
I wasn't sure I wanted to walk all the way out there,
but with a perfect fire, how could I not?
I grabbed a piece of leftover Baked Alaska
and went to stare at the fire.
Which, of course, is code for 'sit and think'.
I reflected over the past few days
which were crazy for any sane person. 
Not once did I feel like it was more than I could bear.
(with help, of course!)
I was only near tears once
and that was after I'd fought for an hour with recovering a chair
and had to give up 'cause the chair was winning
and I had no more time to spare messing with it.

I realized that as my hormones are balancing
and I'm feeling better and better,
the nasty selfishness is disappearing.
I'm human ~ I'm sure I'll still be selfish from time to time,
but it is no longer a defining characteristic.
And I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

2 comments:

  1. I can fully understand what you mean in this post! I'm so happy that you are on the road to 'normal' again. I'm just starting, but already it looks bright ahead.
    (We've ordered some cream since it is no where to be found here.)
    Love you!!!
    Ps. I hope to get some pictures posted today. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never noticed any of your selfish moments! Thank you for the party! I was pretty clueless, I know it HAD to have been a crazy weekend for you! Its always nice to get the family together! Thanks for being such a wonderful host! And, your floors look great of course!! much love! terri

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)