Tuesday, November 22, 2011

you is beautiful



I was having a boo-rattly day
and I'm pretty sure I know why.
I found out yesterday that my grandma
- the one who doesn't care much for me -
visited NWA, and nobody bothered to let me know.
Of course, 
I wouldn't have wanted to go visit.
But Tyler would have insisted that it was the right thing to do.
And I would have agreed with him. grudgingly.
So there's that.


But, also
any mention of Grandma GeeGee
takes me back to awkward adolescence
when she painted my 12 year-old face with her old lady make-up
complete with too-pink rouge and non-sparkly blue eyeshadow
then paraded me in front of my dad
and she told him,
"She's homely. She needs to wear make-up."


He must've agreed
because I was allowed to wear makeup from that day forward.


It was another year before I'd realized 
that she meant homegirl was so ugly I shouldn't be out in public.
I thought 'homely' meant somebody who likes to be home.
Not somebody who needs to stay home.
~
I decided today
that 31 years was plenty long enough to be ugly.
(technically, only 30 years- since it took me a year to realize
that I'd been pronounced ugly. Which I suppose means
I was also stupid. But that just now dawned on me,
so I didn't suffer any ill affects from it.)
So,
inspired by a pillow I'd seen on Pinterest
which was inspired by the movie The Help,
I created a reminder.


In the movie, when Abileen tells Mae,
"You is kind. You is Smart. You is important."
I leaned over to Tyler and whispered, 
"She should have told her she was beautiful, too."


Because everybody should be told that.


Consider yourself told.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, sister! I am so sorry!!you are smart! you are beautiful! you are fun! you are kind! you are caring! you are loving! you are important !. AND YOU ARE LOVED VERY MUCH!!! you need to call me, (I missed Tylers call) and....ps. grandma is still here and will be until dad takes her back to Florida after he moves.(DEC. 1ST I think)and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your picture! big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!!! I'm hugging you right now! You are all that Terri wrote and MORE! Your beauty is ...(I've written this three times and I can't get it to sound right...) deeper than 'skin deep'. (Does that make sense???)
    Anyway, words evade me today, but know that you are loved a huge bunch!
    The flowers are lovely!
    (Ps. Thanks for the bit of info, Terri.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the feeling the "ugly" one certainly wasn't you. Funny how people can be... In our family it was the aunts comparing the cousins. My sisters, cousins and I agreed NEVER to do that with our children.
    Love that wall hanging picture... It speaks volumes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always thought you beautiful.

    You is beautiful.
    You is creative
    You is special
    You is loved
    You is you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your picture is awesome and so are you!! Jesus made a beautiful Tracy inside and Out - and that is the bottom line! Period!
    Thank You Lord! Bless Tracy !!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)