Tuesday, October 30, 2012

some spaghetti

I sent Tyler a text that said,
"I just took a bite from the pot and said, 'mmmm'." 

"It was spaghetti sauce!"

To fully appreciate that, you need to understand something.

My mom made delicious spaghetti sauce when I was growing up.
In fact, it's what we had to eat the first time Tyler came over for dinner.
I'm not sure if I made it, or she did.
Either way - it was the same yummy sauce; I made it just like she did.
Tyler wasn't sure he'd like my mom's cooking, so he (unbeknownst to me at the time) grabbed a burger on his way over.
His eyes about popped out of his head when my mom served him up a Miller male sized portion.
He couldn't have eaten that much normally,
but having just had a burger, well, things didn't look good for him....
I don't remember if he ate it all or not
and actually, that part of the story is irrelevant.

When I was pregnant with Lana,
I could not stand the smell of cooked tomatoes.
Which was quite a problem, seeing that tomato based foods were pretty cheap
and we were incredibly poor.
So I cooked with tomato sauce and such anyways
and sometimes, I even managed to get down a few bites.

At some point not long after Lana was born,
we'd discovered that it was cheaper to buy jarred or canned spaghetti sauce than make my own.
Since it was all nasty in my opinion (even though the smell no longer made me sick, there was still a negative association...)
 and Tyler just loved spaghetti, period,
well, it was a no-brainer.
We started buying pre-made spaghetti sauce.
We could have a meal of spaghetti for $2 if we didn't use meat;
$1 for the sauce, and $ .50 each for pasta and a can of diced tomatoes.
As kids grew (and became more plentiful) we just added another jar of sauce and more pasta.
When we switched to whole grains, it was slightly more expensive, since the pasta was $1 a box...
Occasional, we had hamburger  or ground turkey in it,
but Lana preferred it meatless. 
Since she rarely stated preferences,
I choose to fix it the way she liked it.
Once she married, we added meat to the sauce more often than not.
And once I discovered that Tyler really didn't care for ground turkey in it,
I never added it again - only ground beef.

And every single time we ate spaghetti for dinner,
which was probably at least 3x's amonth, since everyone else loved it
and it was a cheap healthy meal - what with all that whole grain pasta,
I hated it.
Whenever possible, I planned to have it when I would be gone at dinner time.
Seeing that I don't really go gallivanting around all that much,
I didn't get to skip out on the sketti very often.

and we re-examined our eating habits again.
Now, even though we ate in a way we thought was healthy, 
and I'd known for years that they put sugar or HFCS in spaghetti sauce,
I overlooked it.
It was cheap and easy.
But with knowledge comes responsibility, so as we learned more,
we adjusted more.
The cheap Aldi spaghetti sauce had to go.
Tyler found some jarred sauce with just a smidge of added sugar - no HFCS - that they liked okay,
but it was no longer a cheap option, especially when you consider we needed 3 jars...
But of course, I still hated spaghetti night.
Mind you, I didn't carry on like a martyr or anything;
I'm sure some of the kids didn't even know I didn't like spaghetti,
but Tyler knew.
And he made it his mission to come up with a spaghetti sauce that I would like,
and preferably be inexpensive, too.

to be continued...

5 comments:

  1. Don't take long now. I wanna hear the rest of the story. It is quite riveting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is this? to be continued!!
    I sure was not expecting that! I was expecting the receipe!
    Oh Well! It says
    "to be continued "
    so I'll have to wait
    pretty sneaky, pret-ty sneaky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! I have to wait to hear the end? I'm dying!
    Ironically, my first conversation with your Mom was to ask her for her recipe...or was it for lasagne? it's been too many years now!

    waiting, waiting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to hear the rest of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *GASP* to be continued? (( shaking finger )) you are an ornery one....clever, but ornery...(did I spell that right? lol

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)