Wednesday, October 10, 2012

one thing


I second guess myself as a mother all the time.
I feel like I fail more often than I get things right.
Yesterday, though, when I used the technique I'm going to tell you about in just a sec,
I realized, I've got this one thing down.
Now, I don't always remember to use it
and it doesn't always have positive results,
but much of the time, it works.

As a general rule, I try to answer affirmatively if possible.

For example,
yesterday, when Lexi was supposed to be going to sleep at naptime, she asked if I could read her a book.
I could have just said, "No." because, it wasn't time to read right then,
but instead, I said, "Maybe after nap I can read it to you."
To which she happily replied, "Okay." and rolled over. 
Basically, I was saying the same thing ~ there would be no book at the moment,
but I said it in a way that left her hopeful, rather than deflated.

Obviously, every question can't be answered with a 'yes',
but that doesn't mean it has to be answered with a 'NO" either.
An affirmative answer is one thing that works for me!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I've noticed I say "No" a lot with the little ones, and I tried telling the 1 yr old "Not right now" and "Maybe later." Didn't work so well. Does this work with husbands?

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)