Tuesday, March 19, 2013

kids in the kitchen

I know.
As a homeschooling mom, it's practically sacrilege,
but here goes:

I really don't enjoy cooking with kids as a general rule.

I've read all the books.
About how great it is having your kids in the kitchen.
How they can cook 5 course meals by themselves when they are 6,
if only you'll let them help when they are 2.

Train your children, they say,
and you'll be out of a job in no time.

The fact is - it takes a lot longer to cook with 'help'.
And it makes a lot more mess.
Yes. I know; they, themselves can just clean this mess up.
But have you seen how much mess they can make cleaning up??

Now, I do enjoy having kids peel carrots
(except for the peels all over the floor, wall, and outside of the trash can. 
even after I've called them back 3 times to pick them up)
And I really like having a 'runner' to root around in the fridge and grab things from the pantry.
If I'm not in a hurry, I don't even mind letting them cut mushrooms.
(although, I can't watch. and I call out every minute or so, "keep your fingers away from the knife!")

The thing is - I'm not so sure that all this 'help' when they are so young
really translates into real help any sooner 
than if I'd just kick them out of the kitchen 'til they are 5 or 6.

~

Lexi, the one-handed wonder, 'helped' me make muffins this morning ~ bet you couldn't guess that ;-)



2 comments:

  1. I am finally... FINALLY, looking past the ideal image of the ideal home school Mom, and just being real. We create such bondage for ourselves, don't we?? SO so freeing, my sweet friend! I may hafta elaborate on my blog ;)Thanks for sharing, hope you're all doing well! Love~ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 3 year old is my most eager helper....and while many times I have to force myself to let her help, and there are occasions that I shoo her out of the kitchen, she has become quite the adept egg cracker (better than my 5 and 7 year olds) and she absolutely loves every part of baking. I call her my sous chef.

    Hoping the time investment I'm making will pay off big dividends.

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)