Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Inside Out, a finished quilt top


So.
You remember how I up and decided
(a month ago today, actually)

Well,
I kept up with the 30 blocks
(of course, 
the blocks were all super simple,
so it wasn't too hard)
and then immediately sewed them into a quilt top
after adding in a 3 inch strip of background fabric(2)
to each row.


When Lexi saw it all together,
she said she wanted it.


Considering I'd just posted on Instagram
that the poor girl had outgrown both of her quilts,
and I really had no reason for making it,
except that I needed to sew,
I figured I should let her have it.


Except that at 52.5 x 60,
it wasn't much bigger than the last quilt I made her.


So,
I quickly drew up another 5 blocks
that would go with the other 30,
then dug around for 5 more fabrics
and sewed those blocks up too
and added the row to the quilt.


Then I added three borders,
(making the width of the horizontal borders
just a smidge wider than the vertical borders)


and now,
I've got a  71 x 90 quilt top
for my baby girl



linking up with amanda jean again,
and DrEAMi Sandra :-)

7 comments:

  1. And what a fabulous quilt it is! Your little Lexi will have beautiful memories of this quilt. (That's a good thing because if she's at all like my grandies, she will love it to shreds.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific story! Love when our kids (and grandkids) put in requests or claim quilts! Love the colours too! Thanks for linking this quintessential DrEAMi up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Busy Lady ~ thanks for stopping by. And hosting the link up! (even if I do get distracted and miss it half the time ;-)

      Delete
  3. Visiting from Sandra’s DrEAMi link party.
    Wow, great quilt and you made it super fast! Love all the blocks, and I was interested how you made the borders different sizes.
    I’m quite new to quilting - well my first quilt was about 10 years ago, but it was a lap quilt (30” sq). I’ve only made a few blocks since then (from The Splendid Sampler) and then I got sidetracked! 😉
    I’m back to quilting again now and trying to make a quilt for The Endeavourers latest challenge. I like the way you’ve made your blocks and would have liked to make something similar but for my next “squirrel” my topic is “spiral” so maybe after that I can try something like your quilt!
    I’m not surprised your daughter wanted this one, it’s lovely and bright, and the border really finishes it off!
    Barbara xo (The Flashing Scissors)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara ~ nice to meet you :-) Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet this time! These blocks were all super easy,so it's a nice sort of 'palette cleanser' type of a project. Regarding the borders - I was trying to get the quilt as long as possible, but didn't need extra width, exactly. Obviously, for the mitered border, I cut them all the same width, but the other two borders I added either 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch to the width of each top and bottom strip. Not terribly significant, but added together, it's enough to make the quilt long enough for a twin, and small enough to trick the eye into thinking they are the same width (that's the plan anyways ;-)
      Best wishes ~ Tracy

      Delete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)